Renters Buyer's Guide
Efficiency is for Renters, Too
Just because you don't own your home doesn't mean you should write off adopting energy-efficient and connected home devices. Small changes to your rental can lead to significant savings on your monthly utility bills – plus increase your comfort, convenience and peace of mind.
Many Wi-Fi-controlled thermostats and window AC units are easy to install and remove, making them great options for managing the comfort of your rental, without the hassle of professional installation.Learn More
Are you tired of coming home to a hot, stuffy home? Do you feel wasteful for leaving the air conditioning on when you're not home? Wi-Fi-enabled temperature control can help keep your home comfortable, while also cutting down on heating and cooling costs.Take your new smart thermostat with you when you move or talk to your landlord about splitting or covering the cost.
- Do you have central AC and an existing thermostat?
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat, like the Nest Learning Thermostat for home automation, beautiful design and energy efficiency reports. It runs on a battery that's charged by your system's heating and cooling wires.
- If you have multiple rooms that seem to have different temperatures, consider the ecobee4 with built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Service the or the more affordable ecobee3 lite. Both come a with power extender in case you don't have a C-wire in your existing system, but only the ecobee4 comes with room sensors that help your AC sense and compensate for differences in room temperatures.
- Want a Wi-Fi-enabled, thermostat without the bells and whistles (and wires)?
- Compare The battery-operated Emerson Sensi and the LUX/GEO Wi-Fi thermostats.
Whether you live in an apartment, house, condo, or dorm, upgrading to LED lighting is one of the most affordable ways to improve your home’s efficiency and ambiance. From basic, bulbs to Wi-Fi convenience, we’ve got options for your every mood and room.Learn More
LED Lighting can improve the look of your current rental and is easy to take along if it outlasts your current home.
- Want to upgrade the bulbs in your everyday fixtures to long-lasting, energy-efficient LEDs?
- Try A19 Simply Conserve 9w Dimmable—this bulb is equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent and is among our most-affordable and best-selling models.
- Want to program your lighting from your smartphone to set the mood for movie night, nap time or a welcoming arrival at the end of the day?
- Try Philips Hue – Sync your lighting hue and temperature to fit any mood or activity. Connect to other home products for even great control, comfort and security in your home.
Does your home support all your electronic gadgets with efficiency and ease? Make regular devices smart and ensure strong and consistent connectivity with connected home devices for every budget.Learn More
- Interested in turning regular electronics into easily-controlled, smart devices?
- Try the iHome Wifi Smart Plug – It turns your regular outlet into a smart outlet. Control devices like fans, lights, heaters and home audio systems with your smartphone. If it's plugged into the iHome Wifi Smart Plug, you can control it.
These low-cost, renter-friendly devices can save a significant amount of energy, helping to reduce your monthly utility bills.Learn More
Low-cost investments in advanced power strips and water-saving devices can help you save energy and money in the long term.
- Do you like to "set it and forget it?"
- Try an advanced power strip – it cuts power to idle appliances that continue to use energy when they’re not in active use. Don't worry if you don't want your fridge, Wi-Fi or other devices to run uninterrupted – these smart strips also come with at least one "always-on" outlet.
- Do you turn on the shower and walk away while it warms?
- Try one of the Evolve ShowerStart showerheads – they slow your water to a trickle when it reaches a comfortable temperature, helping you save energy by eliminating wasted hot water. When you're ready to jump in the shower, simply pull a tab to release the full flow.
- Do you like taking long, luxurious showers?
- Try on of our Niagara shower heads – they give the feeling of great force while using a maximum of 1.5 gallons of water per minute. This helps cut down on wasteful hot water, minimizing your water and energy bills.
- Do you find it hard to control the flow in your kitchen sink?
- Try one of our Niagara kitchen aerators – they can help regulate the water flow to your liking.
Have questions? Contact our Customer Support Team.